If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.
-Vincent van Gogh
7th grade art
Open Scholastic Art: Henri Matisse: Working with Color to pages 4-5. Use the article to answer the questions on the next page in your sketchbook:
1. Did Matisse like art as a child?
2. What did Matisse study to become?
3. What event caused Matisse to change his feelings about art?
4. How did Matisse start out painting at The French Academy?
5. What new way of painting was Matisse first inspired by that caused him to break the "rules" of painting at The French Academy?
6. What does "fauves" mean in English?
7. Which art element did fauves experiment with most?
8. What is an "arbitrary" color?
9. How would Matisse define the word "portrait?"
10. Identify two ways in which Matisse created art on is own?
A few things to remember as you complete your Cezanne inspired still life paintings.
Above: Cezanne's work.
Above: Start by mapping out the value.
Above: Remember there are core shadows, cast shadows, and highlights. There is also variation of light and dark within these shadow. Paint shapes of value. Do not paint outlines.
Above: Remember this guy? He finishes his painting in this quick 5 minute video.