Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.
― Edgar Degas
Be able to identify the artist and title of the paintings below:
Be able to answer two of these questions in 5-9 sentences.
1) Before Jackson Pollock became famous for his drip paintings, where was the center of the art world considered to be and why? What major city did he put on the map? How do you think this changed the lives of American artists after Pollock?
2) Describe Jackson Pollock’s personal life. In what ways might have Jackson Pollock’s personal life affected his painting? What can we learn from Pollock’s challenges and successes?
3) Compare and contrast the ways in which Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko use movement in their painting. Be sure to describe the artist's technique and identify the formal name of his style of abstract expressionism.
4) Describe the scale of abstraction. Identify where most abstract expressionists fall on the scale. Which painter does not fall in the same place? Where does he/she fall? Why?
5) Choose one of the four paintings featured on this test. Describe the painting. Be sure to include the subject, media, art elements that are most important to the painting, and the artist’s technique.